Saturday, June 16, 2012

Theology of Release


"Need some release, release, release /
We need love and peace!"

- U2


I work at a cabinet shop from 7 to 330. There are four times every day that I experience a sense of release: 10 am, 12 pm, 230 pm, and 330 pm. These are 10 minute breaks, a 30 minute lunch, and the end of the work day. Whenever the buzzer signals one of these times a certain emotion surges through my body. This emotion is especially strong on Fridays when the weekend begins at 330. This is the same emotion I experience when I finish a hard paper or a test. It is the same emotion I experience when make it past that section on 205 where traffic is merging, and I am freed to drive at a comfortable speed. All these things strike exactly the same feeling in my mind. These all have this feeling to different degrees. For instance, 10 am break isn't quite as exciting as 330 end of the day on Friday, or as exciting as graduating undergrad. But still, these all have exactly the same emotion. These are all communicating the same concept.

I think that the reason God designed this concept of release was to give us an infinitesimal picture of what it will be like when Jesus returns, and we are finally freed from sin: "...when he appears we will be made like him, and every who thus hopes in him purifies himself as he is pure" (1 John 3:2-3). 

No comments: