Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Pride


I was at the Bi-Partisan Cafe one morning early enough so that there were only a few people there who were quietly studying. All of the sudden a taller man walked up to the counter and flung creamer at the barista, and shouted, "How's that for customer service? Never mess with a professional boxer!" And he stormed out of the cafe. Everyone - particularly the barista - was extremely confused. I just made one of those Jim Halpert "well... something awkward just happened..." faces and went back to writing my paper.

There are lots of people around MU's neighborhood who do ridiculous things like that. It's really not that out of the ordinary. Observing many such events, I have come to the conclusion that they are all symbolic of what is true about everyone, even Multnomah students, namely, that human beings are obsessed with themselves.

My professional boxer friend was seriously delusional. The thought that went through my mind (and probably everyone else's in the cafe) was, "Who does this guy think he is!" But I guess the answer is obvious. He thought he was a professional boxer. And like a character from Lewis's The Great Divorce, he believed he was entitled to his rights as a professional boxer, which apparently included the right to fling creamer at the Bi-Partisan barista when he was upset at his customer service.

Self-justification proceeds from pride and self-centeredness. Because we are so concerned with ourselves, we become desperate to save and preserve our image. The professional boxer flung creamer on the barista, and then announced to everyone in the coffee shop his self-justification. He was a professional boxer, and as we all know, professional boxers do that sort of thing.

When I condemn this man I condemn myself (Rom 2:1).

Sometimes I treat my friends pretty awful. Sometimes I gossip. Sometimes I lie. Sometimes I envy. Sometimes I put my friends down so that I look better than they do.

Why do I do these things?

Because I am desperate to preserve the delusional image I have in my head of Jesse Califf. Sometimes I think I'm a great guy. Sometimes I think I'm humble. Sometimes I think I am theological insightful. Sometimes I think I'm going to be the next Jonathan Edwards or John Piper or something. Sometimes I think I'm smart. Sometimes I think I'm a good writer.

Essentially, I fling creamer at my friends because I think I'm a professional boxer. And you do the same thing too. So read Romans 2.

No comments: