Thursday, August 18, 2011

On Synergistic Sanctification

The first reason I don't think sanctification is "synergistic" (or at least as I understand the term) is that I have nothing to say for myself in regards to any progress in freedom from sin. Yes, when I am freed from sin I "worked out my salvation with fear and trembling," I "put to death the deeds of the flesh by the Spirit," I "made every effort" etc. But looking back, there is nothing that I have to say for myself. Only God's grace.

Secondly, if I have made more progress in growing in a love for Christ than my brother has, I cannot pat myself in the back for having made "every effort" better or for having responded to Christ's grace in more humility: I owe any discipline, effort, or humility on my part precisely to his grace.

Thirdly, synergistic sanctification does not take into account the paradox of man's freedom and God's sovereignty. True human liberty and true sovereign decree must always be maintained. God's grace being somehow dependent on the Christian "making every effort" is not the paradox of Philippians 2.

"12Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, so now, not only as in my presence but much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling, 13for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure."

This verse is not A (working out salvation) + B (God's grace working in us) = C (sanctification)

This verse is A(God's grace working in us) = B(working out our salvation)

The first equation is the synergistic model, and is no paradox at all. The second is the paradox of salvation that does not depend on the man who wills or runs but on the God who has mercy (Romans 9:16).

The fourth, and maybe strongest reason, is that I find no hope in the synergistic model. One, because I know my own pride and determination to resist God's grace. I am every bit as stubborn as Israel. I want to go back to Egypt. I need Christ who has come up out of Egypt to fulfill Hosea 11:1. Two, because I have seen men with stronger will-power than me resist God's grace and commit adultery. What hope do I have to be any better than them? Only God's grace

Sola gratia.

And one final note.

Irony is when something functions the opposite of how it is expected to or is desired to function.

The whole force behind synergistic sanctification is to emphasize that Christians ought to "make every effort." But I believe the irony is that it will devastate Christians pastorally.

If a Christian is struggling with sin I will first and foremost tell them that God has his hand on their life and his grace overcomes our sin and pride in spite of our sin and pride. It seems to me that to stay true to synergistic sanctification, you must say, "try harder!" Or maybe more accurately "respond to God's powerful grace harder!"

Okay, synergistic sanctificationists, tell me where I went wrong here. This blog is mainly to try to understand the whole thing better. These are just my initial thoughts after viewing Kevin DeYoung's blog.

No comments: